Growth means transformation, expanding from something that was limited into another form that encompasses the old and what it has learned. Well, I've discovered aplenty and now it's time for the werewolves to be different. This is probably the riskiest decision I've made yet.
I have literally added seven(!) growth spells that boost power and toughness. Instead of burn spells, I've resorted to green's strong suit: creature pumping. This means that I can pass the turn and protect them from direct damage spells and oncoming creatures at instant speed. Giant Growth and Titanic Growth are the innovations along with a trio of Wolfir Silverheart to remain on theme.
Here's the list:
Creatures: 26
4 Wolfbitten Captive
4 Scorned Villager
4 Mayor of Avabruck
4 Daybreak Ranger
3 Instigator Gang
4 Huntmaster of the Fells
3 Wolfir Silverheart
Spells: 11
3 Giant Growth
4 Titanic Growth
4 Full Moon's Rise
Lands: 23
3 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Rootbound Crag
11 Forest
5 Mountain
Sideboard: 15
4 Blasphemous Act
4 Wolfir Avenger
4 Moonmist
3 Grafdigger's Cage
The idea is to deploy as many werewolves as possible and just go to town on the opponent's life total. It's relatively safe to empty one's hand with Full Moon's Rise on the board. One can then just swing for lots of damage or take a turn off to transform everyone.
As for the sideboard, it addresses four match-ups. Blasphemous Act wipes the board clean of tokens or Selesnya armies. Wolfir Avenger comes in against tricky blue mages with their bounce spells and countermagic. Grafdigger's Cage locks down zombies, reanimator strategies, and flashback spells. Moonmist "Fogs" aggressive red and black decks.
The design this time is simple, organic, and easy to execute. I've cut down on attempts to make the deck cute by removing one-ofs and other cards that seem good but are quite ineffective in the metagame. Werewolves are now intent on making the other guy sweat instead of the other way around.
Come to think of it, this is exactly the kind of growth I talked about in the beginning of the article. I am improving, tailoring my deck to the sort of plays I want to make so that I can avoid mistakes and make better decisions in-game. I am not stuck to ideas that don't work. I'd rather win more than be "right."
No comments:
Post a Comment